Fall is upon us and I could not be more excited for the cool, brisk mornings and evenings complete with pumpkin everything. This is hands down my favorite time of year. I’m not sure if it is the cool weather or the fact that Halloween has always represented the beginning of the Holiday Season for me, but I am beyond pumped for leggings as pants, boots and scarves, tall cozy socks, Halloween, and snuggling (sans sweat…as we all know how I can be a hot sweaty mess…)!
Every year around this time, usually accompanied by a cool Sunday afternoon while cheering on the Falcons, either B or I realized it is finally “chili season,” become overly child-like excited, and began to plan our attack. This year, it was this past Sunday after spending most of the weekend relaxing with family and friends, lots of football, and the purchase of several pumpkins. This chili recipe is super easy, only takes slight preparation, and uses ground turkey for a slightly healthier vibe.
Ground turkey // 1 lb
Onion // 1/2, diced
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) // 1-2 tbsp
2 tsp minced garlic
1 pack of chili powder/mix
Diced canned tomatoes // 14.5 oz cans (3)
Corn // 1 can, drained
Kidney beans // 1 can, drained
Ground pepper // 1/2 tsp
Sea salt // 1 1/2 tsp
Ground cumin // 1/4 tsp
Green onions // diced
- Dice onion. I only used 1/2 of an onion, but if you’re an onion lover, feel free to use a whole.
- Add EVVO to a large skillet. Sauté onion until golden brown.
- Add in minced garlic and ground turkey. Cook until turkey is completely done (crumbly and brown). No need to drain.
- While waiting for the turkey to cook, add the remaining ingredients into the Crock-Pot and set on warm.
- Once turkey is finished, add into Crock-Pot.
- Add water (1 cup), stir thoroughly, then cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Serve hot. Add toppings as desired.
Happy Chili Season!